Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Oh the places we go, the things we see....

Yesterday, as I do about three days out of the week: I had to take Denise to work. This, was not a big deal, except it involved me getting up at 5:30 so she could get to work by 6:00.
I threw on clothes, threw water at my face, gave a promissory swipe to my teeth  at which my toothbrush I am sure just shook it's bristles at me, and went out to the car drove Denise to work. 
Stopping in front of Denny's I smelled something burning,and thought: Something is on fire, looked at the gauge and thought in horror:
 "It's me!"
I pulled the car into the nearest parking space, hopped out  and popped the lid. Yes, lid. Oh all right hood.
The reservoir for the radiator was boiling over, hot with brown slush oozing out of it. 
That's not good I thought. 
Since the radiator was full, it couldn't be the source of the overheating, I checked the oil and found it didn't even register on the stick, so I quickly went in and told Denise she had to cough up some money since I had none. 
Yea, well  my purse was MIA at this point.
Denise gve me the money and off I Went to sunocco, where they happily charged me $4.99 a bottle for oil, this made me frown, but after I asked if I could buy a Icee cup for a funnel, The clerk perked up and told me they had free funnels: To make things convenient.
That didn't make up for paying $4.99  for oil I could've gotten at Wal Mart for $2.00, but it helped. 
I went out to the car, and all of these truckers were standing around their trucks, whispering and watching me. I took a quick look at myself, made sure everything was buttoned, put away and I was otherwise decent. Everything seemed ok. 
So I just shrugged and proceeded to put the oil in the car. 
The truckers watched a minute then started to get in their trucks or go about their own business, about that time the cashier came out to dispose of some garbage and I asked her what the problem was.
"Oh," she stated "don't worry, they just wanted to make sure you didn't put the oil in the wrong place." 
Wrong place?
"yep", she said "one lady put the oil in her transmission, the truckers felt bad so now they kind of I guess check it out."
Do you have a lot of women stop here for this purpose?
"Oh yes mam," she shrugged  "we run out of oil right quick. Some people just forget I guess."
So now thoroughly embarrassed I threw the oil containers away, crept into my car and drove off, only to overheat yet again,  1 block down the road. And the truckers were where? Right no where to be found. 
Great.
I stopped, pulled over and waited for it to cool off. Let it suffice to say, I got home this way, turning off the car at stop lights, and spending 1/2 hour at a shell station one time. But I made it. 
Eric took it to Midas, and we got the Midas touch, literally. $123.00 but the car runs.
and me? I plan to  check the oil, every day from now on, just in case I am bringing a book everywhere I go. Not to mention not giving my teeth more then  a promisary swipe anymore. and forgetting makeup:
You never know when you are going to run into a station full of truckers.
Well, I am single.

1 comment:

Zandria said...

Hahaha...love this! The situation with your car SUCKS, but the story about the truckers is awesome. :)