Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Can Squirrels dance?.


Natasha loves squirrels, she chases and talks to them through the window, and  while sitting on the steps outside.  
Three year old are so inquisitive. Tasha isn't any different.  She has questions about everything. 
The following conversation took place this morning:
"Nanny! There are squirrels on the stairs!" trying to open the door (thankfully its still locked)
"What are you trying to do,?" asks Nanny a little distracted trying to unstop the sink.
"Let them in so I can play with them,"
Nanny is no longer distracted.
"Squirrels like outside, honey. You can watch them from the door."
"But I want them to come in and play with me,"
We really need to get her a pet. 
"Squirrels like outside, Tasha. He would be very scared in here."
Of course by now the topic of this conversation has flown the coop or er the stairs.so the conversation is now irrelevant but as in the makeup of all three year old it continues. 
"I would have made him feel safe, Nanny. He would have been happy in here."
And so, I continue and explain why squirrels and squirrels families prefer out side to inside.
I think she understands. But maybe not all, she has what I call her thoughtful Tasha look, it means she listened, it also means she will be back. 
I wonder if the little squirrel went home and asked his mother if he could play with the little girl?
"She could play in the  tree mom, I won't let her fall."

Kids are the same everywhere, are they the same in the animal kingdom to? 
It is funny the questions kids ask, things I never in the world would have thought of. It would be natural as anything for Tasha to want to play with the squirrel, she has no sense of danger, rabies, being bitten or anything we adults have learned to be wary of. 
It is sad that they have to learn that the world is not safe. I don't remember, growing up in California , ever being scared. But that was years ago. It was safe to play in my front yard and not worry about someone stealing me. It was safe for my grandmother to let me walk home and stay until she got off work. It was safe for me to walk everywhere and and talk to friends and strangers alike. I just never thought of it, nor did any of the grownups around me.
Of course we are talking about Palo Alto, California. Home of Stanford , Hewlett Packard and  the start of silicone Valley. Everyone I knew worked for either the university, HP/ IBM or the hospital (Stanford Medical Center) It indeed was a different world. 
 I hate it that kids can't be that free any more. 
Tasha did come back, after listening to Barney and dancing around the living room she asked me, 
"Nanny, can squirels dance? Do they watch Barney and tiny TV's?
Something to ponder. how do we know they don't? :)





6 comments:

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

what a sweet story! i think the advent of access to SO much information SO quickly has made us all too well aware of the dangers.

Unknown said...

How cute!! Kids think so literal at times. Baby Boo talks to my dog Sam like he's a real person. She'll bend over and say, "You hungee Sammy? You wan eat?" She waits for him to answer and of course he never does but he must in her head because she goes about her business after.

By the way, I will have to post a picture of Baby Boo on my blog. I believe Tasha and Baby Boo resemble one another.

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

Squirrels ARE cute but such a nuisance!! Tell Tasha, at our house the squirrels like Yo Gabba Gabba! (Mommy doesn't!!)

Clare said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and cheering me up. It made my day. Come back soon

Clare said...

Thank you for checking in on me. I am feeling much better. Sorry that you are having one of those days. You are very sweet. Thanks again. I have been through a lot of the last few years. I am ready for a change

Monica said...

I love this. And it wasn't that long ago that it was ok to let kids be kids. I'm 38 and I was safe on the streets too but there is no way 'd let me kids go around the corner without me watching now. And I hate that. I want them to feel the freedom I did. Oh well. I guess they can - but in a much more controlled way.