Friday, December 27, 2013

2014



I was shocked, confused, bewildered 
As I entered Heaven's door, 
Not by the beauty of it all, 
Nor the lights or its decor.

But it was the folks in Heaven
Who made me sputter and gasp--
The thieves, the liars, the sinners,
The alcoholics and the trash.

There stood the kid from seventh grade
Who swiped my lunch money twice.
Next to him was my old neighbor
Who never said anything nice.

Bob, who I always thought
Was rotting away in hell,
Was sitting pretty on cloud nine,
Looking incredibly well.

I nudged Jesus, 'What's the deal?
I would love to hear Your take.
How'd all these sinners get up here?
God must've made a mistake.

'And why is everyone so quiet,
So somber - give me a clue.'
'Hush, child,' He said,
'they're all in shock.
No one thought they'd be seeing you.' 

Author Unknown


I read this poem and got a rude awakening. How many times have you looked at someone and thought: there's someone who is not going to heaven, or she cannot do that and be saved or She call's herself a Christian????

Years and years ago when I first read this poem, I was the most judgemental person I knew.  My biggest problem was gossip, second judging. I would wag my fingers at others "judge lest ye be judged..." and not notice I was being just as bad.

Admitting your failures, first to yourself, second to God and third (the hardest) to a friend, whom I asked to keep me accountable. I was on track to recovery. I thought before I spoke, (a minor miracle) and was careful of negatives thoughts. Eventually, I got over it and changed to putting myself in someone else's shoes before I came to a decision on how sinful they were.

2014 is coming, although I do not do resolutions, I am renewing my resolve to think of our fellow people, well just as tat people. EVERYONE has a burden, and the truth is we do not always know of that burden. Speak kindly.

My sister has a real problem with this issue. We talk about it a lot.  Although she agrees with the principal if a Christian friend has clay feet, she finds it very difficult to forgive them.

Forgiveness brings us closer to the Lord. Always.

2014 is a new year, with nothing written on it. We can write our new future, and change our outlook. We can choose to smile, rather than scowl, to treat a difficult person with kindness because we do not know their story. We can do this because it will not change the other person, but it will make our hearts a little bigger. Also, if we spend less time being angry at people, our lives calm down as well.

Actually, why wait until 2014? Forgive, smile or perform a random act of kindness tomorrow. Get a head start on the new year.

By the way, I hope your 2014 is Awesome!! mine is going to be.

Keep the faith

No comments: