Sunday, March 30, 2014

Sunday Morning in Charleston


Arthur Ravenel Bridge
I woke up this morning to sunshine, and temperatures in the 50’s. I opened my curtains for a look at such a beautiful day; my first vision was of a lady walking her dog, in her nightgown and robe, slippers falling off begging the dog to go and take care of business.
“You woke me up,” I heard her hiss desperately “please go now!”
I felt for her. This is why, as much as I would like a pet, never in a condominium. I want to be able to let it out to run in a fenced yard, while I stay in warm and cozy. I know, selfish of me, but there it is.

English settlers founded Charleston, South Carolina in the 1670’s, King Charles graciously handed the land rights for the Carolinas to his supporters, and off they went to settle this unknown land. The city started as a seaport, went on to become a wealthy city. It was (still is) THE place to go for vacations  in the eighteen century. Its population was quite respected; as represented by Margaret Mitchell’s “Gone with the Wind”
In explanation of Rhett Butler’s dastardly deeds,
“My Dear, he is not received in Charleston!”  Therefore, his fate was sealed.
For a city steeped in history and splendor, Charlestonians are a strong breed. In a city where today and tomorrow are across the street from each other: they are proud.  Rightly so.
monument
I am a Charleston transplant; I cannot call myself a native, but it is a city that embraces all who come.
Because it has a different  feel then other cities. You feel the past among the present. Among the restaurants, tourists, and modern living; the past is never far away. History glides next to you reminding you of its splendor, triumphs, failures.
Looking out my window, the dog must have taken care of business because his owner has disappeared, replaced by an older woman riding a three wheeled bike. She looks to be about seventy, floppy hat on her head; sitting up straight as she pumps the pedals of the bike determined. She is going forward, not looking back. She still has things to do with her life. I am betting she is a native of this beautiful city.
 A child rides by on the bike. 
A man runs by headphones in place for the long haul.
This is Charleston. 
It is a beautiful day today. I think I am going out to enjoy my city.

 
St Michael s Church



No comments: