Monday, January 19, 2009

Is the Dream a reality?

I was in the 2nd grade in 1963. I lived in Northern California where racism was not felt nearly as keenly. I remember the talk about the march on Washington, I remember my neighbors went and a lotof Afro American were out of school that day.
The first time I had such an experience was also in 1963, I was in the 2nd grade the principle came into the room and asked the teacher to turn the television on, in the middle of math class. the first time even though I was barely 7 I remembered Him saying
It's funny even at such a young age, I still here the unbelief, the shock and the sadness in his voice. It was a moment I will forever remember. But so was that day in 1968.
The event this time was the march on Washington and the speech that the nation remembers the most that Dr.King made. Listening to that speech today,still brings chills up and down my spine. http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/mlkihaveadream.htm
It was powerful. And watching the tens of thousands standing on the Mall in DC was a site of hope. Tomorrow we swear in the first Afro-American President to the greatest country in the world. Does this mean the dream has been realised?
I honestly don't know. But what I do know is this. People are trying harder. Things are easier. mistakes have been made, but they have been corrected. And there is still a small segment of the population who thinks prejudice and hate is the way to go.
Dr King said this about hate:



I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.
Martin Luther King, Jr.





So in our everyday lives do we choose love? Do You?
Tomorrow on his birthday, a fitting day for the swearing in, think not that we are swearing in an Afro American president. But, rather that we are swearing a man with a new vision. A man who will lead us into greatness again, we pray.
And that man, just happens to be Afro-American. If we can think of a great man and not think of his color, we then become color-blind. And prejudice has lost.
Tomorrow is a history making days for many reasons. We are setting forth on a new path, change is inevitable. things most definetly will get worse before, The new adminstration has much to do to correct many wrongs.
And we must stand as a nation, not as a divided one, to perserve.
I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly. I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

2 comments:

Michele said...

Angel, isn't it great?! I've been gushing since Monday!

Barb Jacobucci said...

It was truly an amazing day yesterday. I still have a hard time wrapping my mind around the dramatic change that has taken place in the last 30 years. It took way too long, but what a moment!