Sunday, December 13, 2009

Chankah and Christianity - Christianity is Jewish


Chanukah's, the celebration of lights.
Ok, What is Chanukah exactly'? Oh you say, it's a Jewish Holiday. Well yes it is, but is Christianity Jewish? So why do we discount the Jewish holiday's as less important then the Christian Holiday's?

To me, the story of Chanuakah is a true miracle.

More than twenty-one centuries ago, the Holy Land was ruled by the Seleucids (Syrian-Greeks), who sought to forcefully Hellenize the people of Israel. Against all odds, a small band of faithful Jews defeated one of the mightiest armies on earth, drove the Greeks from the land, reclaimed the Holy Temple in Jerusalem and rededicated it to the service of G-d.
When they sought to light the Temple's menorah, they found only a single cruse of olive oil that had escaped contamination by the Greeks;miraculously, the one-day supply burned for eight days, until new oil could be prepared under conditions of ritual puri.


We get wrapped up in our traditions and forget others especially Jewish ones, that we should even though you don't go as far as I did by making Potato Pancakes I always go to far :)

When my kids were small, and I homeschooled I use to incorporate the holidays into our school schedule. Eric told me he was looking for a job once and a Jewish Rabbi needed bartender help, but he needed someone who knew the holiday and the food and drinks allowed so he gave Eric a test.

He was Amazed by Eric's knowledge of the holidays and the Jewish faith, but why not? Isn't the old testiment the Torah? and don't we follow the old testiment as well as the new? Weren't both God Breathed and God inspired?

At any rate the Rabbi calls Eric back every year to help out. I guess there are not many people in Charleston who understand the traditions.

WEll I am going to take advantage, this I would make Corned beef and cabbage but Denise might hurt me, she wants that for Christmas..

Happy Sunday everyone..

No comments: