Sunday, August 28, 2011

Irene, hunger and the Media Is the media a good thing?

We have had our eyes on Irene this week. The thought of this huge  hurricane descending on Charleston was scary. Every day it changed. It was coming, well maybe not. Oh yes it is coming but it is not going to be as bad as we thought.
Well, we glued our eyes to the media. Schools closed   Even when the weather service was saying, It is not going to be as bad inland, they closed.  We started the morning feeling warm and fuzzy because we knew Tasha's school cared enough to close at the warning of the media.
One school, district actually listened to what was being said and didn't close. "They" whoever "they" are that were at the head of this whole mess, rushed and made that  sole district close down, leaving the kids in more danger because most of their parents were at work.
A co-worker of Denise's who has a child in that fateful district was lucky enough to have  her sister stop by her house for a minute and answer the door to the knock  of her 5 year old niece  that had just been let off a bus. Unbeknownst to his mom.  Otherwise he would have been sitting on the steps of his house for hours. Everyone works. Then What?
In the end, we received no wind, and only two rain squalls. What a roller coaster week.
Still, others say better safe then sorry. I guess. We were planning on keeping Tasha home anyway, so the closing of the school didn't effect us one way or the other. But it did some parents.
 Denny's and other restaurants did a good business, families went out to eat and shop, and do things they could not have done on any other day but a Saturday.
Irene blew by us with a whisper. Only the surfers and beach observers really noticing.
The surfers thoroughly enjoyed it, some of the actually found "The" wave. If ABC news hadn't tole me, I never even knew sh was here.
Perhaps we should have looked more to the sky then the media. Do we understand how strong the media shapes our thoughts?
Now to be fair, Irene is causing a bit of a stir up north. She isn't a tame storm by any means.

A storm tailor made for the media.  And the media took advantage.  We spent days worrying, even whether weather service downgraded. the storm.  It makes me wonder who we listen to the people who know or the ones who get paid to keep us all afraid. Walmart, Lowes, and other stores sold out of water, flashlights and 800 dollars generators.
Chock another one up to the media.

On the other hand..........

It used to be called hunger, But it is now called child Food insecurity. The media changed the name, but no matter what fancy name you call it, it is still Child hunger and it means that a child in the richest and most prosperous  country in the world is going to bed hungry tonight.
How can this be happening in America? Some people will tell you it is because the parents are lazy. See they shouldn't have had the kids if they couldn't afford them, so why are they here?
Not my problem. Aren't there shelters?
Sound familiar?
stive time of year, Mr. Scrooge, it is more than usually desirable that we should make some slight provision for the poor and destitute.
Ebenezer: Are there no prisons?
First Collector: Plenty of prisons.
Ebenezer: And the union workhouses - are they still in operation?
First Collector: They are. I wish I could say they were not.
Ebenezer: Oh, from what you said at first I was afraid that something had happened to stop them in their useful course. I'm very glad to hear it.
First Collector: I don't think you quite understand us, sir. A few of us are endeavoring to buy the poor some meat and drink, and means of warmth.
Ebenezer: Why?
First Collector: Because it is at Christmastime that want is most keenly felt, and abundance rejoices. Now what can I put you down for?
Ebenezer: Huh! Nothing!
Second Collector: You wish to be anonymous?
Ebenezer: [firmly, but calmly] I wish to be left alone. Since you ask me what I wish sir, that is my answer. I help to support the establishments I have named; those who are badly off must go there.
First Collector: Many can't go there.
Second Collector: And some would rather die.

Ouch.
Didn't you were this close to sounding like old scrooge, did you?
the flip side of the media is sometimes it does good. It lets us know what is happening in our world, and how to gauge  our lives. If the media didn't tell would you know the child next doot was hungry, would you think about?
No. 
well, me wither.  It is good to be reminder sometimes of those less fortunate. I I wasn't I would fall into a self pity party
because I am out Ice cream. But I need to be reminded of  the fact some kids never have ice cream. IIt keeps me humble.  If it didn't I'd be a terrible person. No, I am sure of it I am prone to self pity. 


So this blog started out as rant on the media, but made me realize what a necessary evil it is. I mean, As I sit here New York is getting pouded by Irene, but somewhere in America a Child is beeing fed because of a series on Child Food insecurity   broacast earliler this week.


Is this what we cal a necessary evil? 


Oh by the way if you want to help the No Kid Hungry campaing
 Contact these people.

No comments: