Friday, June 20, 2014

Spring into Summer

Kristoff: Really? I’m guessing you don’t have much experience with heat. 

Olaf: Nope! 

Olaf: 
But sometimes I like to close my eyes, and imagine what it’d be like when summer does come 

Bees’ll buzz, kids’ll blow dandelion fuzz 
And I’ll be doin’ whatever snow does in summerrrrrr 
A drink in my hand, my snow up against the burning sand 
Prob’ly getting gorgeously tanned in summerrrrr 

I’ll finally see a summer breeze, blow away a winter storm 
And find out what happens to solid water when it gets warm! 
And I can’t wait to see, what my buddies all think of me 
Just imagine how much cooler I’ll be in summerrrrrr 

Da da, da doo, ah bah bah bah bah bah boo 
The hot and the cold are both so intense 
Put’em together — it just makes sense! 

Ratdadat dad dada doo 
Winter’s a good time to stay in and cuddle 
But put me in summer and I’ll be a — happy snowman! 

When life gets rough, I like to hold on to my dream 
Relaxing in the summer sun, just lettin’ off steam 
Oh the sky would be blue, and you guys’ll be there too 
When I finally do what frozen things do in summerrrrrrr 

Kristoff: I’m gonna’ tell him — 
Anna: Don’t you dare! 

Olaf: 
In summerrrrrrrrr! 
From Disney’s Frozen

Today we are saying goodbye to spring, for tomorrow starts summer. The summer solstice typically begins with the longest day of the year, and this one will not be any different. Summer is hot, humid. Storms tend to fire up during this time of year. Yet most of us look forward to the time of year excitedly with visions of cookouts, vacations and the beach dancing in their dreams.
So I’d like to offer for your enjoyment ten little known facts about summer. At least I think it is little known facts, we shall see.

  1. 1.     This one we know of course the first day of summer is the longest day of the year. In the northern hemisphere it is usually June 20 or 21. In the southern hemisphere it is in December.
  2. 2.     Frances Eiffel tower grows by more than six inches every summer. The iron expands in its frame.
  3. 3.     School summer vacations were invented by Horace Mann in 1840, The US has longer vacations than anywhere else.
  4. 4.     Just like Tomatoes are not a vegetable but a fruit: Watermelon is not a fruit but a vegetable.
  5. 5.     The first summer Olympics were play in Athens in 1896, Women were first allowed to compete in 1900
  6. 6.     Crickets chirps increase or decrease depending on the temperature.
  7. 7.     More Ice cream is eaten in July than any other month.
  8. 8.     The number on summer fruit is Mangoes, with watermelon and peaches as two and three.
  9. 9.     The dog days of summer occur between July 3 and August 11. They name evolves from the star Sirius (the Dog Star) in the constellation of Canas Minor. The Greeks and romans blamed the Star for the heat, drought and sickness.
  10. 10 summer reruns were traditional in the beginning because the majority of people were outside during the summer. The first newly premiered program was in 1991 and the program was 90210.


 And so there you have it.


Most of us look forward to summer like Olaf. It is a season we can get out, do things and have carefree adventures, we can look backwards to a time we play until the streetlights came on. Caught fireflies. We took our shoes off in June and didn’t put them back on until the first day of school.
Are you ready for summer? What was your favorite thing to do, when you were a child?
.


No comments: